The Grand Valley Boulevard Bridge in Martinsville is in the running for a prestigious national award and you can help take it across the finish line. The new overpass is a finalist for America’s Transportation Awards distributed by the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO). You can help the Grand Valley Boulevard Bridge take the top spot by casting your vote daily. You can vote each day through October 25.
The bridge is one of 12 regional finalists for the People’s Choice Award decided by the online vote. There will also be a national Grand Prize decided by a committee of transportation experts. Each winner will be awarded $10,000 for donation to charitable organizations. Indiana’s winnings would go toward the Indiana State Transportation Workers Foundation Scholarship Program, assisting families of INDOT workers killed or disabled in the line of duty.
The Grand Valley Boulevard Bridge was the first I-69 Finish Line bridge to open to traffic. It provides a safe east-west connection for motorists and pedestrians near Martinsville High School and the Grand Valley Shoppes. Watch this short video from the bridge opening in June 2020 to take a look back and learn more.
- State Road 37 access is expected to change today for First United Methodist Church in Martinsville. A temporary driveway will open north of Myra Lane as overpass construction continues in the area.
- The Fall Foliage Festival runs Thursday evening through Sunday! Watch for increased traffic on S.R. 252/Hospital Drive and Morgan Street near the Morgan County Fairgrounds.
- Stay alert for S.R. 252 and then Ohio Street traffic to shift onto new pavement late this week or early the next week as roadwork continues in the area. Concrete pours for the new I-69 bridge decks over Ohio Street are also scheduled for next week.
- Pavement repairs at the S.R. 39 railroad crossing in Martinsville were rescheduled due to weather. Expect stopped traffic for flagging this upcoming weekend, between 8 p.m. Saturday and 6 a.m. on Sunday.
- Crews expect to shift both directions of S.R. 37 toward the center median next week between Olive Branch Road (County Road 800 North) and Smith Valley Road. The traffic shift will permanently close Olive Branch Road east of S.R. 37.
- Bluff/Bluffdale Road is also expected to close permanently next week at S.R. 37 near Angel Animal Hospital. Access on both sides of S.R. 37 will be from Fairview Road to the north, with a new road connecting Fairview Road and McCarty Mulch.
- Slow down and stay alert for daytime S.R. 37 lane closures next week north of Smith Valley Road. Cranes will be unloading structural beams where the bridge over Honey Creek is being widened.
- Glenns Valley Lane is expected to close permanently this week at S.R. 37 near the Methodist church. A new access road will open west of S.R. 37 to connect Wicker Road to Glenns Valley Lane.
- Nighttime I-465 lane closures continue this week near Keystone Avenue for bridge construction and near Mann Road for powerline replacement. Duke Power contractors may stop traffic for up to 20 minutes between 11 p.m. and 5 a.m.
- I-465 lane closures are also expected tonight between Madison Avenue and U.S. 31/East Street to collect soil samples.
- Contractors are preparing to move dirt for I-69 interchanges at I-465 and Southport Road. Citizens Energy plans daytime lane closures this week on Southport Road just east of S.R. 37.
The actual starting date and duration for work and any closures may be adjusted if inclement weather or other unforeseen activities occur.