It’s been a year of major progress on I-69 Finish Line in Martinsville and Morgan County. The latest milestone came late last week when the new overpass connecting Egbert Road with Old State Road 37 opened to traffic. It’s the fourth new overpass completed and opened to traffic this year. The Grand Valley Boulevard overpass opened this summer and the Waverly and Perry road overpasses followed this fall.
The widening of S.R. 39 was completed this year and several local access roads have been improved. More of the new and improved access roads are opening to traffic.
The realigned Mahalasville Road is expected to open to traffic south of S.R. 37 as early as today. Commercial Drive is also expected to reopen from Industrial Drive to Mahalasville Road as early as today. With the new access points, Industrial Drive access to S.R. 37 is expected to close permanently as early as Wednesday. Click here to see a map of the new roads. Construction in the area of Commercial Drive and Mahalasville Road will continue into 2021 with final surfacing for some of the new roadways expected in the spring.
Work will expand throughout the I-69 corridor in 2021 and include Morgan, Johnson and Marion counties.
- The new traffic signal S.R. 39/Morton Avenue at Burton Lane and Hacker Drive is expected to be activated as soon as today. Drivers should stay alert and slow down as motorists adjust to changing traffic patterns.
- The temporary traffic signal at S.R. 39/Morton Avenue and Rogers Road will be activated in early January after S.R. 37 closes in Martinsville.
- Crews continue to clear trees to prepare for next year’s construction. Watch for daytime lane closures on S.R. 37 north of Martinsville from Morgan Street to S.R. 144.
- Signal work continues at S.R. 67 and Pleiades Drive in Mooresville. Expect intermittent lane restrictions Monday and Tuesday.
- A team of hundreds of people is needed to get I-69 to the Finish Line. This holiday season is the perfect chance to introduce you to some of our crew members and thank our entire team for its efforts. Watch this short video to hear from several members of the I-69 Finish Line team.
- Watch for patching work on northbound S.R. 37 from Morgan Street to S.R. 144 with intermittent daytime lane restrictions. The work is tentatively scheduled for this Tuesday and Wednesday and next Monday and Tuesday, but it is dependent on the weather.
- The closure of S.R. 37 from S.R. 39 to Morgan Street is expected to begin January 2 and last most of the year. The closure will allow crews to work safer and faster, saving a full year of construction. Watch this short video to learn more.
- During the closure, the official detour for north/south state highway traffic will follow S.R. 39, S.R. 67 and S.R. 144. Several Martinsville roads will remain open across S.R. 37 for east-west local traffic access. See the Closure Maps at I69FinishLine.com/closure.
- North of Martinsville, S.R. 37 will be reduced to two lanes – one in each direction –between Morgan Street and S.R. 144 for most of 2021. Northbound traffic is expected to be reduced to one lane on or after January 4. It will take a few weeks to install miles of concrete barrier wall and then all traffic will shift to the northbound lanes of S.R. 37 to build the new southbound lanes of I-69.
- We hope these weekly updates have helped to keep you On Track this year. We’ll move to intermittent updates during the winter months. You can always find the latest news, information and traffic updates at I-69FinishLine.com, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Reminder: The project office is closed temporarily, but you can call or email with any questions, 855-INDOT-4U and [email protected].
About I-69 Finish Line
I-69 Finish Line is the sixth and final section of the Interstate 69 connection between Evansville and Indianapolis. The project will upgrade the existing State Road 37 to interstate standards between Martinsville and Indianapolis.Governor Eric Holcomb’s Next Level Connections program fully funded the $1.5 billion project and accelerated construction by three years. I-69 Finish Line is expected to open to traffic in late 2024, improving safety and reducing travel time.
East Central Indiana, including Marion County
Southeast Indiana, including Johnson and Morgan counties