What are those big white blocks? You can’t help but notice the mountain of white blocks being placed behind the retaining wall at State Road 252. Several motorists have asked about them. These are large blocks of what’s called Geofoam, used as a soil stabilizer. The high-strength Geofoam is used as part of the fill for the new I-69 bridges. It allows construction to be completed faster and safer, with less time needed to compact dirt.
Future I-69 northbound and southbound bridges will crest the hill over State Road 252, providing unobstructed views of Martinsville in the scenic valley below.
You may have also wondered about the water tankers you’ve seen in action. Contractors are always monitoring the dirt moving that is occurring in the work zone. Three broom trucks are on-site in Martinsville to sweep mud tracks from the roadway. Three water tankers are in use to help tamp down the dust as the warm weather dries out the soil. The wind can pose challenges, but crews are keeping a close eye on conditions and working hard to stay on top of things.
- You may begin to see some large I-beams sitting upright along the northwest side of S.R. 37. Crews are installing and then painting posts that will support noise barrier panels between Grand Valley Boulevard and S.R. 39.
- INDOT plans to begin a separate chip-seal maintenance project this week, weather permitting, on S.R. 67 south of S.R. 39 and on S.R. 252 Thursday east of S.R. 37.
- Towing a boat or camper this Memorial Day weekend? Make sure to give yourself and others plenty of room and use S.R. 39 and S.R. 67 as part of the official detour during the S.R. 37 closure in Martinsville.
- Traffic on both Ohio Street and S.R. 252 are expected to shift onto new pavement the week after Memorial Day. S.R. 252 will be shifted southwest, and Ohio Street will shift about 50 feet northeast for an entirely new alignment through the future interchange.
- Placement of temporary concrete barriers will require daytime S.R. 37 lane closures between Olive Branch Road (County Road 800 North) and Bluff Acres Drive. The right lane of S.R. 37 in both directions is expected to be closed weekdays between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m.
- The realigned Huggin Hollow Road is expected to open in early June between Banta Road and Waverly Park Road/Old S.R. 37. Signs are being installed for a Banta Road closure north of S.R. 37 that will follow the Huggin Hollow Road opening. The detour will follow S.R. 37, S.R. 144 and Waverly Park Road.
- Expect nighttime S.R. 37 lane closures this week between Fairview Road and Southport Road. Rumble strip removal, paving and concrete barrier installation will occur between 8:30 p.m. and 6 a.m. Weeknight work will begin in the northbound lanes and move to the southbound lanes later in the week.
- Flagging continues on Wicker Road west of S.R. 37 for equipment and material delivery. Crews expect to begin around-the-clock work this week on an access road bridge over Pleasant Run Creek. Bridge crews will be hammering steel pilings into the creek banks during the day and moving dirt at night.
- INDOT is monitoring the I-465 detour on the southwest side of Indianapolis with I-65 and I-70 now closed to through traffic at the North Split. Crews may continue to work from the shoulder and side-slopes to collect soil samples, especially near the White River.
The actual starting date and duration for work and any closures may be adjusted if inclement weather or other unforeseen activities occur.