A new fly-over bridge is taking shape in the future I-69/I-465 system-to-system interchange in Marion County.
Motorists who commute along I-465 have noticed this structure being built over the last few months and will see major additions as crews set the steel girders that will form the base of the bridge.
Setting these girders is no small feat. Three individual girders are connected to create a span of 240 feet, which is only 20 yards short of the length of a football field. This bridge will carry five parallel girders within each of the three bridge spans.
While very large, however, the current set girders will only form half of the bridge. The second half of the structure will be built in 2024. Once complete, the fly-over bridge will support the northbound to westbound movement from I-69 to I-465.
- Crews will continue nightly I-465 lane closures between Kentucky Avenue and U.S. 31 to allow for material deliveries throughout the I-465 work zone.
- Watch for trucks entering and exiting the work zone on I-465 near Mann Road and Harding Street.
- Crews will be working on the shoulders near U.S. 31 to continue installing sound barriers. In the coming weeks the U.S 31 northbound ramp to I-465 will close temporarily to complete a section of noise barriers.
- The southbound ramps to and from Smith Valley Road are now open; the northbound ramps will open later this year. Click here to watch a short video that shows the new access point on Smith Valley Road. Thanks to everyone for their patience and cooperation during the recent traffic switch.
- Watch for crews in the medians along S.R. 37 near S.R. 144 as they perform cable barrier repair.
- There will be paving activities on Henderson Ford Road later this week for minor pavement repair. Crews will temporarily flag traffic while installing the new surface and lay a steel plate overtop while the pavement cures. Drivers and motorcyclists should use caution when driving over the temporary steel plate on the Henderson Ford roundabout.
The actual starting date and duration for work and any closures may be adjusted if inclement weather or other unforeseen activities occur.