Opening soon! The Grand Valley Boulevard overpass is expected to open to traffic in the next week or two. The overpass will provide a new east-west connection for both drivers and pedestrians. Check out this short video to learn more about the improved access. The Grand Valley overpass connects Martinsville High School and neighborhoods west of State Road 37 with restaurants, shops and other businesses east of the highway.
Pedestrians were previously trying to cross a busy S.R. 37 to reach businesses, but sidewalks provide a new, safe connection. The overpass is also an improved connection for drivers. Grand Valley was an intersection with a traffic light. The light, removed last year, was the first of 14 traffic signals that will be eliminated as part of I-69 Finish Line. This photo shows where the interchange was located. Erosion control is complete and new grass has been seeded.
Work on railings is nearly complete. Crews must also stripe the roadway before the overpass can safely open to traffic. Watch I-69 Finish Line social media channels for the latest news and information regarding the opening of the Grand Valley Boulevard overpass.
- Drivers should prepare for a new traffic pattern on State Road 37 at the S.R. 39 interchange. Beginning today, southbound traffic will shift across the center median with the current northbound side of S.R. 37 carrying one lane of traffic in each direction. Click here to see a map of the area.
- This new traffic pattern will allow contractors to demolish and rebuild the S.R. 37 southbound lanes between S.R. 39 and Liberty Church Road and the bridge over Indian Creek. The rebuilt southbound lanes will be in use during next year’s temporary closure of S.R. 37 between S.R. 39 and Morgan Street.
- Crews are continuing to clear the way for progress. Demolition work is underway along Southport Road, and you’ll continue to see crews move north. Buildings that are currently boarded up will be coming down in the coming weeks and months to clear the path for construction of I-69.
- Crews have striped a double left-turn lane from eastbound S.R. 144 to northbound S.R. 37. Expect possible traffic stoppages early this week for signal changes.
- Crews are expected to be doing work at S.R. 39 and Morgan Street today that requires deactivation of the traffic signal from approximately 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Watch for flaggers controlling traffic at the intersection.
- Perry Road is scheduled to close early this week between Perry Lane and S.R. 37. Traffic will be detoured over New Harmony Road and Cragen Road to S.R. 37. Click here to see a map. A temporary access point will connect Lincoln Road with S.R. 37. Lincoln Road traffic wanting to travel south on S.R. 37 is encouraged to use caution and make a U-turn at Big Bend Road.
- The temporary closure of Mahalasville Road south of S.R. 37 is expected late this week or next week and will last about five days. Drivers will use Burton Lane and Southview Road to access Mahalasville Road from the west.
- Work is nearly complete to add a second turn lane on S.R. 67 at Crosby Road. The additional lane is another improvement to help safely move traffic during next year’s temporary closure of S.R. 37.
- Daily lane closures are possible from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at S.R. 37 near Egbert Road, Henderson Ford Road, Perry Road and Waverly Road. New bridges are being built at these locations.
Reminder: The project office is closed temporarily, but you can call or email with any questions, 855-INDOT-4U and INDOT@indot.in.gov.
About I-69 Finish Line
I-69 Finish Line is the sixth and final section of the Interstate 69 connection between Evansville and Indianapolis. The project will upgrade the existing State Road 37 to interstate standards between Martinsville and Indianapolis.
Governor Eric Holcomb’s Next Level Connections program fully funded the $1.5 billion project and accelerated construction by three years. I-69 Finish Line is expected to open to traffic in late 2024, improving safety and reducing travel time.