Beam me up! Crews are erecting new bridges near Egbert Road, Henderson Ford Road, Perry Road and Waverly Road to provide local connections when I-69 opens in northeast Morgan County.
Much of the work so far has been building up the bridges high enough to pass over the highway. Crews start by driving steel piling deep into bedrock to provide a solid footing. These piles support concrete piers and “end bents” that are the primary vertical elements of the structure.
The project reached a milestone this past week as the first horizontal elements were set into place. A large crane hoisted 10 concrete beams over State Road 37. There are photos of the progress you can see here. The structural beams will support Henderson Ford Road traffic at a future interchange allowing traffic to safely enter and exit I-69.
Next on deck are beams for the Egbert Road bridge, which are scheduled for delivery and installation next week. The Egbert Road, Henderson Ford Road, Perry Road, Waverly Road bridges over S.R. 37 are on pace to open by late fall.
- Storm sewer crews are making progress along S.R. 39/Morton Avenue. Burton Lane is expected to reopen at the intersection early this week. The detour follows S.R. 37 and S.R. 39.
- Country Club Road access to S.R. 37 has been closed permanently. A new access road is being built this year to connect Country Club Drive and Myra Lane along the west side of S.R. 37. A detour map for local traffic can be found here.
- Stay alert as other drivers adjust to changing traffic patterns on S.R. 144 west of S.R. 37. Two new traffic signals are now in use at Mann Road/Centenary Road and Old S.R. 37/N. Waverly Park Road.
- Northwest Avenue access to Ohio Street is scheduled to close permanently as soon as today. This helps clear the way for a future I-69 interchange at this site. Access to neighboring houses will be from the north by using Holden Street. A map of the area can be found here.
- Work to rebuild the Perry Lane intersection at Perry Road is expected to begin as soon as today. A temporary driveway will allow residents to access Perry Road, which remains closed at S.R. 37.
- Rolling closures and lane closures are possible daily along S.R. 37 near Egbert Road, Henderson Ford Road, Perry Road, Waverly Road and Whiteland Road.
- The intersection of Egbert Road and Centennial Road is scheduled to close for about four days starting late this week. Access will remain open to River Valley Christian Church. A map of detour routes is available here.
- Road crews plan to close and rebuild the Morton Avenue entrance to the Martinsville Plaza in the coming week. During the 3-4 day closure, drivers will only be able to access the shopping center from Burton Lane.
- A partial closure of Morgan Street at S.R. 39 is expected in the coming weeks. The westbound Morgan Street turn lane onto S.R. 39 northbound will remain open. All other turn movements will be closed for about one week so Morgan Street can be realigned with the widened S.R. 39. Watch for updates on timing.
- The I-69 Finish Line project office remains closed temporarily, but our Project Team stands ready to assist. Call 855-INDOT-4U or email INDOT@indot.in.gov to connect with our team. You can always find the latest news and information at I-69FinishLine.com, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Reminder: The project office is closed temporarily, but you can call or email with any questions, 855-INDOT-4U and INDOT@indot.in.gov.
About I-69 Finish Line
I-69 Finish Line is the sixth and final section of the Interstate 69 connection between Evansville and Indianapolis. The project will upgrade the existing State Road 37 to interstate standards between Martinsville and Indianapolis.Governor Eric Holcomb’s Next Level Connections program fully funded the $1.5 billion project and accelerated construction by three years. I-69 Finish Line is expected to open to traffic in late 2024, improving safety and reducing travel time.