Watch for changes on State Road 37 this week as I-69 Finish Line crews continue preparations for a big traffic shift next year. You’ll see construction barrels stretching from Martinsville north to S.R. 144. Click here to see a map of the area. Drivers need to stay alert, slow down and be prepared for lane closures. Police are enforcing a reduced speed limit of 45 MPH for the safety of both motorists and highway workers.
Contractors will be paving alongside live traffic in the center median and both directions of S.R. 37 will be affected. The single lane closure to strengthen and repave the northbound shoulder could stretch for up to a mile. Single lane closures on southbound S.R. 37 should be shorter in length. Closures will happen outside of morning rush hour (6 a.m. to 9 a.m.) on northbound lanes and outside of evening rush hour (4 p.m. to 7 p.m.) southbound. Barrels are going up early this week with the lane restrictions expected to begin midweek. Work is expected to wrap by dusk each day. The paving work will continue into the fall.
Starting next year, S.R. 37 will be reduced to two lanes – one in each direction – between S.R. 144 and Morgan Street in Martinsville. Traffic will be shifted to one side of the highway while crews build the new I-69 lanes on the other side.
Next year’s temporary closure of S.R. 37 is south of Morgan Street. The nearly 5-mile stretch of S.R. 37 between S.R. 39 and Morgan Street is expected to close early next year and remain closed for most of the year. Numerous improvements are being made this year to safely move traffic during the closure. Watch this short video to learn more about the work underway and why the full closure means getting the work done faster.
- Crews are building the New Harmony Road extension along S.R. 37. Ennis Road closed east of S.R. 37 late last week with the closure expected to last for several weeks. Local access is maintained to the south using Egbert Road and Henderson Ford Road.
- James Baldwin Drive has reopened between Industrial Drive and Robert Curry Drive. Sewer work continues in the area. Drivers should watch for flagging operations on Robert Curry Drive later this week.
- Crews have started work on a new access road where Whiteland Road has closed east of S.R. 37. This is a permanent closure. Click here to view a map.
- More progress is being made on the new bridge that will carry traffic over S.R. 37 near Perry Road. Concrete for the bridge deck is scheduled to be poured later this week.
- Concrete beams are expected to be set on the new Indian Creek bridge later this month. S.R. 37 traffic can expect short daytime rolling closures as beams are delivered. Delivery is currently scheduled for Sept. 23 and 24.
- Egbert Road is scheduled to close east of Willowbrook Drive today. Temporary access to Willowbrook Drive will be maintained through Egbert Road at S.R. 37. Click here to view a map. This is a permanent closure of S.R. 37 access to allow crews to connect Egbert Road with the new bridge being built.
- Southview Drive is scheduled to close Tuesday at Burton Lane to install a water main. The closure is expected to be in place by early morning with the work expected to be finished by late afternoon. Motorists will use Mahalasville Road and Southview Drive to access businesses in the area.
- Mahalasville Road is scheduled to close between S.R. 37 and Southview Drive on Wednesday for sewer improvements. It’s expected to reopen by early next week. The detour for Gardner Avenue will follow the reopened Southview Drive and Burton Lane.
- Rolling closures and lane closures are possible daily along S.R. 37 near Egbert Road, Henderson Ford Road, Perry Road, Waverly Road and Whiteland Road.
- The I-69 Finish Line project office remains closed temporarily, but our Project Team stands ready to assist. Call 855-INDOT-4U or email INDOT@indot.in.gov to connect with our team. Find the latest news, information and traffic updates at I-69FinishLine.com, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Reminder: The project office is closed temporarily, but you can call or email with any questions, 855-INDOT-4U and INDOT@indot.in.gov.
About I-69 Finish Line
I-69 Finish Line is the sixth and final section of the Interstate 69 connection between Evansville and Indianapolis. The project will upgrade the existing State Road 37 to interstate standards between Martinsville and Indianapolis.Governor Eric Holcomb’s Next Level Connections program fully funded the $1.5 billion project and accelerated construction by three years. I-69 Finish Line is expected to open to traffic in late 2024, improving safety and reducing travel time.