Drivers returning to the road have likely noticed that I-69 Finish Line construction has moved into Morgan County north of Martinsville. Much of the construction activity is at State Road 37 near Egbert Road, Perry Road and Waverly Road where new overpasses are being built and at Henderson Ford Road where a new interchange is being constructed. Piers for the new overpasses are taking shape. Expect lane closures and possible rolling traffic stops.
Drivers will notice another big change in the area early this week as paving of Old State Road 37 south of Maple Turn Road and north of Myra Lane should be completed. Drivers should be prepared for Old S.R. 37 to close north of Maple Turn Road. Drivers will now use Myra Lane for access from Maple Turn Road to S.R. 37. Across S.R. 37, Willowbook Drive is closed at Egbert Road and traffic is diverted to a temporary access road.
Progress is evident throughout the corridor with significant changes in traffic patterns over the past several weeks. Watch this short video to get up to date on some of the work underway and traffic changes you can expect to see. Keep in mind that a permanent 45 mph speed limit extends from the south end of the project at Indian Creek through Waverly Road.
- The next stage of Gov. Holcomb’s Back On Track plan to safely reopen Indiana begins Sunday, May 24. Read more about Stage 3 of the 5-stage plan and expect more traffic on area roads.
- The first new I-69 Finish Line overpass will open soon. Pedestrian fencing, lighting and other finishing touches must be complete before the Grand Valley Boulevard safely opens to cars and pedestrians late this spring.
- Crews are removing medians and laying pavement as S.R. 39 remains the focus of a lot of activity, from S.R. 37 to S.R. 67. Portions of S.R. 39 are being widened to four lanes. Watch for lane closures and shifting traffic in the area and the temporary closure of various side streets.
- Drivers can expect overnight lane closures at S.R. 252 near Cramertown Loop this week to allow crews to install electric wire across the roadway. Closures are expected Tuesday and Wednesday between 12:30 a.m. and 6 a.m. and will last 20-30 minutes.
- Watch for mowing crews along S.R. 37 between S.R. 144 and Martinsville, if weather permits.
- Late this month or in early June, there will be a temporary closure at S.R. 37 and Mahalasville Road. The closure is expected to last about five days. Drivers will use Burton Lane and Southview Road to access the Grand Valley Shopping Center and other areas southeast of S.R. 37.
- Drivers should prepare for another big traffic change expected in late May. Traffic will shift to the inside lane of southbound S.R. 37 near S.R. 39 to install a crossover. When the work on the crossover is complete, one lane of traffic in each direction will utilize northbound lanes and width restrictions will be in place.
- The I-69 Finish Line project offices remain closed temporarily, but updates can always be found at I-69FinishLine.com, Facebook and Twitter. Call 855-INDOT-4U or email INDOT@indot.in.gov with any questions.
Reminder: The project office is closed temporarily, but you can call or email with any questions, 855-INDOT-4U and INDOT@indot.in.gov.
About I-69 Finish Line
I-69 Finish Line is the sixth and final section of the Interstate 69 connection between Evansville and Indianapolis. The project will upgrade the existing State Road 37 to interstate standards between Martinsville and Indianapolis.
Governor Eric Holcomb’s Next Level Connections program fully funded the $1.5 billion project and accelerated construction by three years. I-69 Finish Line is expected to open to traffic in late 2024, improving safety and reducing travel time.