A new construction season calls for a new format for our On Track project update. We’ll continue to spotlight important project information, highlight progress and share upcoming work and traffic impacts.
With the I-69 Finish Line work zone expanding from Martinsville to I-465 in Indianapolis, information is now organized by county to make it easier to find what matters most to you.
Despite the snow and frigid temperatures in recent weeks, crews have continued working to keep I-69 construction on track. In the State Road 37 closure zone in Martinsville, bridge work that continues through winter includes driving steel supports into bedrock, pouring and heating concrete so it cures properly and building up earthen embankments. Bridge retaining walls are starting to be assembled from the ground up. Click here to see how we’re working faster and safer during the full closure.
The first delivery of concrete beams for the new bridge over Sartor Ditch is scheduled on or after Thursday, March 4. Over two workdays, 14 beams are expected to be delivered over S.R. 67, S.R. 39, Burton Lane, Southview Drive and Ohio Street. Expect delays for up to 10 minutes as escort vehicles help delivery trucks navigate the turns.
- S.R. 37 is restricted to two lanes, one in each direction, with a 45 mph speed limit between Morgan Street and S.R. 144. With the snow melting, watch for an increase in slow-moving truck traffic entering and exiting this work zone.
- In the I-69 work zones and the alternate routes for the S.R. 37 closure, crews are monitoring and maintaining potholes and pavement markings. Additional repairs are planned in the coming weeks as temperatures allow for asphalt paving and more permanent striping in downtown Martinsville.
- When the hot asphalt plants reopen, a final layer of surface paving is also planned for some cul-de-sacs and access roads.
- Travis Road access to S.R. 37 is permanently closed. Local traffic near S.R. 37 should watch for flaggers starting this week as water lines are installed under Travis Road.
- Temporary lane closures along S.R. 37 may occur between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. each day as crews remove and chip felled trees and grind stumps.
- Final design is underway for I-69 from Fairview Road to I-465 and for adding lanes to I-465 on the southwest side of Indianapolis between I-65 and I-70. Fieldwork is occurring on-site to collect soil samples and confirm site locations in support of the design work.
- Stay alert for flaggers and temporary lane closures during daylight hours as tree removal and utility crews clear a path for future construction. Specific locations will be posted to the I-69 Finish Line social media channels on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Reminder: The project office is closed temporarily, but you can call or email with any questions, 855-INDOT-4U and INDOT@indot.in.gov.
About I-69 Finish Line
I-69 Finish Line is the sixth and final section of the Interstate 69 connection between Evansville and Indianapolis. The project will upgrade the existing State Road 37 to interstate standards between Martinsville and Indianapolis.Governor Eric Holcomb’s Next Level Connections program fully funded project and accelerated construction by three years. I-69 Finish Line is expected to open to traffic in late 2024, improving safety and reducing travel time.
Southeast Indiana, including Johnson and Morgan counties
East Central Indiana, including Marion County