It only takes a split-second to become a crash statistic, especially in a construction zone. You look at your phone, reach for your coffee, follow too closely, drive too fast. The reasons are many, but the result is the same – personal injury, property damage or a dangerous mishap that could have been avoided.
Last week on S.R. 37 just north of S.R. 144, a truck carrying more than a million pickle jar lids crashed and flipped, possibly due to excess speed and driver inattention. Tens of thousands of jar lids spilled on the roadway, taking several hours to clean up and causing lengthy delays for other drivers. Fortunately, there were no serious injuries. But that is not always the case.
Each year, thousands of preventable injuries and traffic delays are caused by driver inattention. Staying alert in construction zones is especially important because they can have narrower lanes and shoulders, traffic switches and other temporary changes that you may not be used to.
Avoid getting yourself and fellow motorists into a pickle by paying attention in construction zones. You can help prevent incidents like last week’s truck crash. Drive with caution, don’t be distracted, and follow posted speed limits while in the I-69 Finish Line construction zone.
- There will be a closure in the southbound right lane of S.R. 37 north of Banta Road on the evening of Wednesday, Oct. 11 for beam deliveries.
- The northbound U.S. 31 ramp to I-465 eastbound will be closed beginning Friday Oct. 13 at 9 p.m. until Monday, Oct. 16 at 5 a.m.
- The Banta Road crossing at S.R. 37 and Belmont Avenue from Banta Road south to the east entrance of the Lighthouse Landing apartments are closed until mid or late October.
- The eastbound ramp from Mann Road to I-465 is expected to be closed through the end of October.
- There may continue to be nighttime single lane closures on I-465 between Kentucky Avenue and U.S. 31 next week. These closures will be at various locations for maintenance and structure installation work.
- The southbound ramps to and from Smith Valley Road are open. There is no direct access to or from northbound S.R. 37 from Smith Valley Road. The northbound detour is Bluffdale Road between Smith Valley Road and County Line Road.
- Next week paving crews will be active near the S.R. 144 bridge area. Watch for flaggers and drive with caution on S.R. 144 and old State Road 37 during this time.
- Northbound S.R. 37 will have a single lane condition under the S.R. 144 bridge until the end of November.
- The ramp from northbound S.R. 37 to Smith Valley Road is anticipated to be open by late October.
The actual starting date and duration for work and any closures may be adjusted if inclement weather or other unforeseen activities occur.