It was a monumental moment last week when the project team joined Rep. Peggy Mayfield and local officials who served on the I-69 aesthetics committee for Morgan County. The project hosted a dedication ceremony for the limestone and brick monuments being built for Martinsville at the State Road 44 and 39 interchanges.
Designed to look like the clocktower at the Morgan County Courthouse, the monuments will feature blue glass inserts to represent Martinsville’s artesian wells.
The monuments and visual enhancements on bridges and noise barriers are intended to help promote Morgan County’s identity as a destination for businesses and I-69 travelers.
Click here to view photos in the “Morgan County Aesthetics” album of the visual enhancements under construction.
- Every vote counts! Help the Grand Valley Boulevard overpass win America’s Transportation Award by bookmarking this page and voting each day.
- Flaggers are scheduled to direct Grand Valley Boulevard traffic Thursday and Friday at the bridge over I-69. A crew will be working on the decorative lighting.
- Concrete crews are pouring new bridge decks for I-69 over Stotts Creek and Ohio Street. Watch for increased truck traffic near Ohio Street starting Tuesday afternoon.
- Median cable barrier installation along northbound S.R. 37 may require daytime right-lane closures for the next few weeks from the Indian Creek bridge to S.R. 39.
- S.R. 37 access has changed for First United Methodist Church in Martinsville. A temporary driveway north of Myra Lane overpass construction allows traffic to turn right in and out. No left turns are permitted.
- Stay alert and merge for S.R. 37 lane closures north of Smith Valley Road. Daytime bridge crews expect to install structural beams over Honey Creek through Wednesday.
- A S.R. 37 traffic shift is expected next week to advance road construction between Olive Branch Road (County Road 800 North) and Smith Valley Road. Both directions of traffic will shift toward the center median through this area, and Olive Branch Road will close permanently east of S.R. 37.
- Bluff/Bluffdale Road is also expected to close permanently next week at S.R. 37 near Angel Animal Hospital. Access along both sides of S.R. 37 will be from Fairview Road to the north, with a new road connecting Fairview Road and McCarty Mulch.
- Work begins tonight to repave the shoulders and install temporary concrete barriers along S.R. 37 between Epler Avenue and Belmont Avenue. One lane may be closed after 9 p.m. with 20-minute traffic stoppages beginning after 11 p.m. Traffic will be given time to clear between the stoppages.
- The night work along S.R. 37 is preparing for upcoming construction of the new I-69 pavement and bridges in the area. Lane closures will be removed each morning by 5 a.m.
- Watch for stopped traffic on I-465 near Mann Road after 11 p.m. on Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday nights. Duke Power contractors will allow traffic to clear between 20-minute traffic stoppages for powerline replacement. The work will be completed by 5 a.m. each day.
The actual starting date and duration for work and any closures may be adjusted if inclement weather or other unforeseen activities occur.