The I-69 Finish Line project is building 39 new bridges and rehabilitating or replacing another 35 bridges. Installation of structural beams is a sign of construction progress throughout the project.
Last week, bridge crews placed the remaining bridge beams needed for the new northbound I-69 lanes in Morgan County. This week, contractors expect to use cranes to hoist the large concrete beams into place at three locations:
- Teeters Road over I-69 in Morgan County
- I-69 southbound over Wicker Road in Marion County
- Keystone Avenue over I-465 westbound in Marion County
The beams are typically delivered and staged near the bridge in the afternoon and installed overnight to minimize traffic impacts. Safe installation over the road requires multiple traffic stoppages of up to 20 minutes each.
- Both directions of S.R. 37 will experience 20-minute traffic stoppages near Teeters Road between 9 p.m. Monday and 5 a.m. Tuesday.
- Continue to watch for construction traffic where S.R. 252 meets the new I-69. Crews are paving entrance and exit ramps and removing excess soil used to compact either end of the bridges.
- The Cramertown Loop closure has been rescheduled to 2022 when I-69 is able to provide an alternate north-south route between S.R. 252 and Artesian Avenue.
- The S.R. 37 traffic signal at Banta Road could be reactivated as early as today when Banta Road reopens south of S.R. 37. Banta Road remains closed north of S.R. 37.
- Northbound and southbound S.R. 37 traffic is expected to shift toward the center median today near Olive Branch Road/County Road 800 N.
- Olive Branch Road is expected to close permanently at S.R. 37 on Tuesday. Access Autobahn Service Center and Indy Battleground Paintball from the south using S.R. 144 and Old S.R. 37/Waverly Park Road. Click here to view a map of the new route.
- New Keystone Avenue bridge beams have been installed over I-465 westbound, and night work is now occurring over I-465 eastbound. Drivers should expect long delays between 11 p.m. and 4 a.m. and use alternate routes, such as I-65 and I-70 or the I-465 north leg.
- Wicker Road traffic stoppages are expected later this week for I-69 southbound beam installation. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for schedule updates.
- Stay alert for increasing construction traffic on S.R. 37 just north of Southport Road. Contractors have begun excavation and footings for the future Southport Road bridge over I-69.
The actual starting date and duration for work and any closures may be adjusted if inclement weather or other unforeseen activities occur.