The march toward the Finish Line continues as I-69 construction ramps up in Marion County. Work continues throughout the State Road 37 and I-465 project limits to assess soil conditions, install new utility lines and prepare the land for construction. The focus area this week will be along S.R. 37 south of Wicker Road. Construction Start Maps on the project website show you where work is expected to begin each year.
Wicker Road traffic west of S.R. 37 should expect short delays and watch for flaggers over the next few weeks. Equipment and materials are being delivered for the construction of new local access roads south of Wicker Road.
Starting next week, night crews will close S.R. 37 lanes in both directions between Wicker and Fairview roads. Rumble strips in the shoulders of the roadway will be removed and repaved to allow for future construction traffic patterns.
- For the next several weeks, increased construction traffic will be using both directions of S.R. 37 between S.R. 39 and Liberty Church Road.
- Northbound S.R. 37 traffic should expect short delays or right-lane closures north of the Indian Creek bridge. Large concrete beams are scheduled for delivery today and Tuesday for the new I-69 bridges over S.R. 39/Morton Avenue.
- This will be followed by concrete paving between Indian Creek and S.R. 39. Between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. each workday, as weather permits, concrete trucks will be using the right lane of S.R. 37 northbound to access the work zone. Slow down and pay close attention in the area.
- Paving continues to progress between Morgan Street and S.R. 144. The final beams for the new I-69 southbound bridges in this area were delivered last week, and concrete pours are scheduled this week for the bridge decks over Clear Creek and Stotts Creek.
- Placement of temporary concrete barriers will close the right lane of S.R. 37 in both directions between Olive Branch Road (County Road 800 North) and Bluff Acres Drive. The daytime lane closures are expected to occur this week from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- You may see dirt being stockpiled near the S.R. 37 signal at Smith Valley Road. This will be used in future years to build up interchange ramps and the Smith Valley Road bridge over I-69. To see an illustration of the future interchange, visit the Corridor Highlights Map for Johnson County.
- Drivers should watch for utility vehicles and personnel near S.R. 37 and Fairview Road. Work continues in the area to install new service lines and clear the path for construction.
- Short, nighttime lane closures may be needed this week as mobile crews patch potholes on S.R. 37 in Marion County and the southwest leg I-465 between I-70 and I-65.
- Expect short delays and watch for flaggers as construction traffic enters and exits Wicker Road west of S.R. 37.
- Follow the project on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for mid-week updates when flagging and lane closures are scheduled for field work in Marion County.
The actual starting date and duration for work and any closures may be adjusted if inclement weather or other unforeseen activities occur.