As crews move east on I-465 from Harding Street there will be a weekend closure of Bluff Road to allow for safe removal of the existing I-465 bridge over the roadway. The closure is scheduled to begin at 8 p.m. on Friday, May 5 and end at 5 a.m. on Monday, May 8. The detour follows Thompson Road, Meridian Street and Hanna Avenue, and motorists are encouraged to seek alternate routes for the weekend. Access to all homes and businesses on Bluff Road will be maintained.
Bridge demolition involves removal of the structural foundation, superstructure, deck, piers and abutments. While demolition is conducted in a safe and controlled manner, the best way to keep motorists and workers safe is to close the road.
The I-465 improvements are another benefit of the overall I-69 Finish Line project as drivers will enjoy added capacity to much of I-465 between I-70 and I-65 on the city’s southwest side.
- With the opening of the I-65 movements in the North Split there should be less traffic on I-465, but it may take a couple of weeks for new patterns to emerge. Please continue to slow down and drive distraction free in the I-69 Finish Line work zone.
- Nightly 20-minute stoppages may occur as needed on Harding Street under I-465. Work will be ongoing as crews continue to remove and rebuild the I-465 bridge. Be alert to changing traffic patterns when traveling in the area.
- As spring continues to offer fairer weather, work on the new systems interchange for I-465 and future I-69 is beginning to pick up. Motorists should watch for heavy trucks entering and exiting the highway.
- Crews were close to making the scheduled traffic switch onto northbound pavement and opening the last Southport Road ramp, but wet weather over the weekend put those plans on hold for at least another few days. Watch this short video to see the changes coming to Southport Road.
- Spring has sprung! With it comes mowing to keep sections of I-69 looking tidy, motorist should slow down and watch for mowing crews in the medians and shoulders along I-69.
The actual starting date and duration for work and any closures may be adjusted if inclement weather or other unforeseen activities occur.