Although State Road 37 is closed to all traffic in Martinsville, many other roads are being built one portion at a time to maintain local traffic access. We’ve hit a few milestones for I-69 construction that mean some changes for drivers in Morgan County.
On Saturday, the new S.R. 44 bridge over the future I-69 opened to traffic and S.R. 37 southbound was shifted to new pavement and bridges from S.R. 144 to Henderson Ford Road. A new alignment for Ohio Street near S.R. 37 is expected to open late today or tomorrow. These changes allow I-69 construction to progress in Martinsville and Morgan County.
With I-69 construction stretching across three counties and 35 miles of highway, traffic patterns can change frequently. It’s important for drivers to stay alert, pay attention to roadside signs and reduce their speed.
- Drivers on northbound S.R. 37 should watch for traffic shifts after temporary concrete barriers are removed between Perry Road and Big Bend Road. Dirt moving operations will begin along the outside shoulder.
- Crews are working on Commercial Boulevard and Southview Drive this week near Mahalasville Road/Artesian Avenue. Crews are laying pavement and installing sidewalks, guardrail and new drainage features.
- Southview Drive is expected to open within the next two weeks near Williamsburg Apartments. Watch for increased traffic at the stop sign where it intersects the realigned Commercial Drive and Mahalasville Road/Artesian Avenue.
- A traffic signal crew expects to string new cables across S.R. 37 at Fairview Road Tuesday morning after rush-hour traffic clears. Safely completing this work will require rolling slowdowns on S.R. 37 and flagging of local traffic on Fairview and Bluffdale roads and the Waterman’s Farm Market entrance.
- A brief daytime lane closure is expected this week to set temporary concrete barriers near Olive Branch Road (County Road 800 North).
- Radar-activated signs have been installed to alert drivers to the reduced speed limits in the area.
- Southbound S.R. 37 traffic is scheduled to shift across the median late this week or early next week from Wicker Road to Fairview Road. This section of S.R. 37 will remain two lanes in each direction.
- Building demolition has begun on the southeast corner of S.R. 37 and Southport Road to clear the path for a future I-69 interchange. Drivers are urged to avoid distractions and stay focused.
- Thompson Road is scheduled to close permanently between Warman Avenue and Stoops Freightliner on or after Thursday, July 29. Access will be maintained for the Sunshine Gardens neighborhood from Epler Avenue.
The actual starting date and duration for work and any closures may be adjusted if inclement weather or other unforeseen activities occur.