Construction crews are applying the finishing touches in Morgan County and making progress in completing two new bridges over the future I-69.
The new Teeters Road overpass and Morgan Street extension are expected to open by the end of July. Crews are currently building a new connection between the old and new sections of Morgan Street. Removing temporary structures from the Teeters Road bridge will also reduce northbound State Road 37 to one lane north of State Road 44.
The concrete deck was poured two weeks ago for the new Myra Lane bridge. Watch a short video about the bridge and the installation of steel bridge beams. It’s expected to open by late August, connecting Martinsville First United Church and Ozark Fisheries with the new Morgan Street west of the highway.
Along the new I-69 in Martinsville, expect periodic lane closures and restrictions near the exits for permanent striping and stone shoulder work. Nighttime surface paving near the State Road 252 exit may begin as early as next week.
- Improvements where Mann Road meets Thompson Road, just south of the overpass replacement work, are expected to close the intersection and the I-465 on-ramp for a long weekend. Pending fair weather and crew availability, intersection improvements are expected to begin Thursday evening and reopen before the Monday morning commute. Click here for a map of the closure.
- The brand-new Madison Avenue bridge over I-465 and Lick Creek is on track to open late this week or early next week. The Carson Avenue overpass near I-65 is expected to close for replacement late this month.
- Expect nighttime lane closures and traffic stoppages up to 20 minutes on I-465 near the Madison Avenue and Mann Road bridge replacement projects. Removing temporary structures from the Madison Avenue bridge may require nighttime closures of the U.S. 31/East Street on-ramps onto I-465 eastbound.
- County Road 144 is expected to reopen later this month to the Bluff Creek Parkway access road east of S.R. 37. We’re tracking a separate project that Johnson County has further east to replace drainage pipes under C.R. 144.
- Crews are adding temporary pavement along Waverly Park Road/Old S.R. 37 south of S.R. 144 for roundabout construction. Traffic should continue to expect flaggers ahead of a future traffic shift.
- I-69 interchange construction has shifted and restricted Smith Valley Road traffic east of S.R. 37 to one lane each way with no turn lanes. Expect this to remain in place for about a month until traffic shifts again and the left turn lane is restored.
- The four-way stop where Artesian Avenue (formerly Mahalasville Road) intersects Commercial Boulevard and Southview Drive is expected to be replaced with a traffic signal in the coming weeks. Metal poles and support cables are already installed on site east of the I-69 ramps.
- A new Ohio Street entrance is now open to the Martinsville Kroger and Rural King. It’s named Ruth Rusie Way in memory of the teacher and volunteer who passed away recently. Watch a short video from 2020 to learn more. Work continues on sidewalks, driveways and a new north-south access road in Artesian Square Shopping Center.
- INDOT’s Seymour District is scheduled to close S.R. 44 east of I-69 during the day on Tuesday to replace two drainage pipes in Morgan County. Local access will be maintained, and through traffic should use an alternate route. Click here for more details.
The actual starting date and duration for work and any closures may be adjusted if inclement weather or other unforeseen activities occur.