Some big traffic changes are planned this week for local roads along S.R. 37 in Martinsville.
The realigned Southview Drive is expected to open mid-week between Williamsburg Apartments and Mahalasville Road/Artesian Avenue. Watch for increased traffic at the four-way stop across from the realigned Commercial Boulevard.
Southview Drive will serve as the local detour for the permanent closure of Burton Lane at S.R. 37, which is expected to begin on or after Thursday. Traffic will be able to access the businesses south of S.R. 37 from Ohio Street and Artesian Avenue.
When the new I-69 opens to traffic through Martinsville, a new extension of Southview Drive will provide another access point to the area from the S.R. 39/Morton Avenue ramps.
A major closure is expected to start Sunday, Aug. 29 in southern Marion County. South Keystone Avenue will be closed for about four months for demolition and reconstruction of the bridge over I-465. The detour follows Thompson Road, Madison Avenue, Shelby Street and Hanna Avenue.
Bridge demolition will occur at night to minimize traffic impacts. Lane closures are scheduled to begin after the bridge closure on I-465 westbound before progressing to I-465 eastbound.
One lane of I-465 may be closed starting at 9 p.m. each night as weather permits, and the middle lane may be closed starting at 11 p.m. One lane of I-465 will remain open with 20-minute closures. Traffic backups will be given time to clear between stoppages, and all lanes are expected to reopen by 5 a.m.
To prepare for the replacement of the Mooresville Road Bypass bridge, which begins in September, crews will be removing rumble strips from the I-465 shoulders nearby. One lane may be closed in each direction on Monday and Tuesday nights. The State Road 67/Kentucky Avenue ramps will remain open.
- With concrete paving progressing between Indian Creek and Ohio Street, road crews have moved to the north end of the S.R. 37 closure near Morgan Street. Watch for increased construction deliveries to the work site from Hospital Drive and Reuben Drive.
- Teeters Road and Myra Lane are using small sections of old pavement to access S.R. 37. Temporary driveways for Twin Branch Road and Martinsville First United Methodist Church are expected to open within two weeks, when Teeters Road and Myra Lane will close east of S.R. 37 for overpass construction.
- S.R. 37 northbound is reduced to one lane during daytime hours from Indian Creek to S.R. 39. Expect the lane closure to be lifted later this week.
- S.R. 37 traffic was shifted to the outside shoulder late last week from Bluff Acres Drive to Stones Crossing Road. Bluff Acres Drive is permanently closed east of S.R. 37 and Olive Branch Road/County Road 800 North is right-in right-out only – no left turns or crossing movements.
- Fairview Road continues to have daytime flagging this week just east of S.R. 37.
- Huggin Hollow Road is expected to close today between the north and south driveways for BP and Noble Roman’s. This is part of the ongoing work to install new water lines and realign Huggin Hollow Road north of S.R. 144.
- In the coming weeks, crews expect to close Bluffdale Road between S.R. 37 and Bluff Road near Angel Animal Hospital. Access to Bluff Road will be from the north at Fairview Road.
- Slow down or move over for daytime mowing crews along I-465 between I-65 and I-70 on the city’s southwest side.
- A utility crew is scheduled to close Belmont Avenue approximately midway between Edgewood Avenue and Epler Road from Tuesday through Friday. Access businesses from Edgewood Avenue to the south and Epler Road to the north.
- S.R. 37 southbound traffic is expected to shift across the center median early next week from Belmont Avenue to Fairview Road, which will change the location of the Wicker Road and County Line Road traffic signals.
- Thompson Road is scheduled to close in early September between Stoops Freightliner and Warman Avenue. Access to the Sunshine Gardens neighborhood will be from Epler Avenue to the south.
The actual starting date and duration for work and any closures may be adjusted if inclement weather or other unforeseen activities occur.