Finish Line crews took action last week to improve access and traffic flow along State Road 144 where I-69 interchange construction is underway.
New signage and cross-hatched pavement markings were installed at the Old S.R. 37/Waverly Park Road and Huggin Hollow Road intersections. They remind drivers to not block turn movements when traffic is backed up. Police will be patrolling these new measures and, as weather permits, crews will be flagging school traffic and peak drive times on weekday mornings and afternoons.
Drivers play an important role by avoiding the area during high-traffic times. Now that S.R. 144 no longer serves as the official detour for S.R. 37, traffic should expect ongoing disruptions this year. S.R. 144 lanes will be shifted to complete I-69 interchange construction.
Old S.R. 37 is closed temporarily north of S.R. 144. An alternate access point from the north is a temporary stone road for Smith Valley Road west of S.R. 37.
- Northbound S.R. 37 traffic has shifted across the center median and is separated from southbound traffic by concrete barrier north of Wicker Road. Traffic should watch for shifting traffic where the northbound and southbound traffic split near the Buck Creek bridge north of Southport Road. With the traffic shift, Edgewood Avenue and Belmont Avenue east of S.R. 37 are permanently closed.
- Anticipate 20-minute S.R. 37 traffic stoppages today at Banta Road as crews complete temporary traffic signal work. Drivers should anticipate nightly single lane closures on northbound S.R. 37 early this week near Southport Road as crews set temporary barriers.
- Nightly I-465 lane closures continue near the bridgework at Mooresville Road Bypass and Madison Avenue and for temporary barrier installation. The barriers are being installed in the I-465 median between Mann Road and S.R. 37/Harding Street.
- Motorists should anticipate daytime lane closures on northbound S.R. 37 early this week near S.R. 144 bridgework and expect delays at the traffic signal. The dedicated turn lane from southbound S.R. 37 to westbound S.R. 144 is expected to close later this week, and turning traffic will use the right through lane.
- Crews expect to set bridge beams next week for the future S.R. 144 bridge over I-69. S.R. 37 traffic should plan for nighttime lane closures and 20-minute traffic stoppages.
- Expect daytime right lane closures on S.R. 37 this week near the bridgework occurring at Teeters Road.
- Expect short delays for flaggers and the driving surface to be rough temporarily near I-69 interchanges in Martinsville. Paving crews will be applying the final surface layer along S.R. 44, S.R. 39, Ohio Street and Commercial Boulevard.
- The northbound and southbound I-69 exit ramps to S.R. 39/Morton Avenue are expected to close for about two weeks starting as early as next week. The ramps entering I-69 will remain open. Crews will complete work to replace the temporary signal at Rogers Road with a new roundabout.
- Work began last week on a new entrance to the Artesian Square Shopping Center from Ohio Street. The rebuilt roads are expected to reopen this summer as Bobby Helms Boulevard and Ruth Rusie Way in memory of the local Martinsville icons. Local traffic can access Walgreens through the Artesian Square parking lot.
The actual starting date and duration for work and any closures may be adjusted if inclement weather or other unforeseen activities occur.