Motorists traveling on State Road 37 in Marion County will notice changes to the Southport Road interchange, and that includes a shift in traffic. Northbound traffic on S.R. 37 is shifting to the newly constructed roadway as crews continue bridgework on the eastern portion of Southport Road.
The I-69 Finish Line project is realigning Southport Road to the north and building a new bridge over the future I-69. The new bridge is already taking shape with crews installing bridge beams over the southbound lanes of S.R. 37. In total, the Southport Road interchange will have 22 total bridge beams in place, each 88-feet-long and weighing more than 40 tons.
Once complete, the Southport Road bridge will cross over I-69. Two signals will control traffic on Southport Road at the ramp intersections.
There’s always an adjustment period with new traffic changes, but advanced notice helps motorists prepare. Our weekly On Track update keeps motorists informed of the latest traffic news and information. If you know of drivers who travel through our work zones, please encourage them to sign up for the weekly updates, check out the I-69 Finish Line website and follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- Motorists should expect nightly lane closures and 20-minute rolling stoppages this week on east and westbound I-465 and U.S. 31 ramps as crews continue work at the Madison Avenue bridge.
- Crews are continuing to set median barrier wall on I-465. Expect left lane closures on east and westbound I-465 between Mann Road and Harding Street. Motorists should follow the posted speed limit and be alert for road crews.
- Concrete beams were installed in late March for the Mooresville Bypass bridge with work continuing in the area. Expect nightly lane restrictions on I-465 as crews continue to work overhead.
- Be prepared for more traffic on Southport Road because of a nearby project unrelated to I-69 Finish Line work.
- Traffic is continuing to adjust to a new traffic pattern after a big traffic change last week. Crews are realigning S.R. 144 for the construction of a new I-69 interchange. Last Monday, crews closed the north approach of Old S.R. 37 and removed the traffic signal. The Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT) is closely monitoring the situation and will make any needed adjustments in the area.
- Motorists should still anticipate delays along S.R. 144 and seek alternate routes when possible. Southbound traffic can access S.R. 144 by utilizing Huggin Hollow Road and Old S.R. 37 from Smith Valley Road. Click here to see a traffic access map.
- Campaign season is here. While we appreciate our elected officials and all they do, INDOT reminds Hoosiers that campaign signs are prohibited from state right of way. Unauthorized signs will be removed.
- Construction is expected to begin at Artesian Square this week. Ruth Rusie Way and Bill’s Boulevard will be closed until early June. Access is available from Poston Road.
- Rolling slowdowns are expected Thursday night on northbound S.R. 37 near Big Bend Road for crews to install an overhead sign. Traffic should expect slowed traffic from 8 p.m. to 1 a.m.
- Cramertown Loop remains closed south of S.R. 252. Traffic can access this area from Artesian Avenue and Grand Valley Boulevard.
The actual starting date and duration for work and any closures may be adjusted if inclement weather or other unforeseen activities occur.