Changing traffic patterns are expected in downtown Martinsville in the next couple of weeks. The I-69 Finish Line Project Team has been working closely with the City of Martinsville to accommodate the restriping work needed downtown to safely move more traffic during next year’s temporary closure of State Road 37 in Martinsville. The city’s ongoing water main improvement project provides a perfect opportunity for coordination.
The City of Martinsville has closed Morgan Street from Marion Street to Wayne Street to install the new water mains. As that work is finished around the end of the month, I-69 Finish Line crews will complete their work in the area. When Morgan Street reopens to traffic, a number of changes will be in place. The improvements will mean the reconfiguration of some downtown parking spaces and a literal change in direction for drivers using Jefferson Street.
Jefferson Street will become one-way southbound from Morgan Street to Washington Street and one-way northbound from Morgan Street to Pike Street. Click here to see a map of the area. Traffic had been flowing in the opposite direction. The new traffic pattern allows the stop signs at the intersection of Morgan and Jefferson to be removed. Restriping is also planned for Morgan Street.
Here’s an outline of major changes drivers can expect:
- Restriping and change in direction on Jefferson Street.
- No stop signs at the Morgan Street and Jefferson Street intersection.
- Dedicated left-turn lanes from westbound Morgan Street to southbound Main Street and Jefferson Street.
- Dedicated left-turn lanes from eastbound Morgan Street to northbound Main Street and Jefferson Street.
- Temporary removal of street parking along the south side of Morgan Street because of the added left turn lane.
- Addition of temporary parking spaces on the west side of Jefferson Street.
- Angled parking along Jefferson Street south of Morgan Street will reverse direction.
Drivers should be prepared for the changes in traffic flow and downtown parking when Morgan Street reopens. While available parking spots are shifting, there’s no loss in parking spaces. In fact, one additional parking spot will be available.
- We’re nearing the final stages of bridge construction at Perry and Waverly roads. To facilitate the work, three local roads are expected to close permanently today at S.R. 37. These are Big Bend Road, Whiteland Road west of S.R. 37 and Old S.R. 37 north of Perry Road. Click here to see a map of the area and more information. The new bridges are expected to open by mid-November.
- In preparation for the local road closures, the new, temporary signal at S.R. 37 and Banta Road was activated late last week. Drivers should slow down and use caution while adjusting to the new signal.
- Work is underway on another temporary traffic signal at S.R. 37 and Henderson Ford Road. It’s expected to be in use by mid-November.
- If a picture is worth a thousand words, we have a lot to say about the progress being made on I-69 Finish Line. New construction photos are added to the project website on a regular basis. The photos are divided by contract, key areas of work and season. Be sure to check out the new photos from this fall.
- You’ve likely seen the large mounds of soil throughout the project area. Over one-million cubic yards of soil is needed for I-69 Finish Line – that’s enough dirt to fill nearly 60 football fields to the bottom of the goalposts. Watch this short video to learn more about “borrow and fill”.
- Shoulder work is expected to begin next week on northbound S.R. 37 from Morgan Street to S.R. 144. One lane is expected to be closed beginning the evening of Sunday, Oct. 25. It will reopen by morning rush hour. One northbound lane of S.R. 37 could be closed daily after 9 a.m. for continuation of the work. Drivers should expect narrowed travel lanes during the work. The paving work will continue through the fall.
- Final surfacing and permanent striping is continuing along S.R. 39 and Morton Avenue where widening work is complete. Watch for intermittent flagging in the area.
- Crews are completing the work to connect Country Club Road and Myra Lane along the northwest side of S.R. 37. The new access road is expected to open by the end of October.
- Rolling closures and lane closures are possible daily along S.R. 37 near Egbert Road, Henderson Ford Road, Perry Road, Waverly Road and Whiteland Road.
- The I-69 Finish Line project office remains closed temporarily, but our Project Team stands ready to assist. Call 855-INDOT-4U or email [email protected] to connect with our team. Find the latest news, information and traffic updates at I-69FinishLine.com, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Reminder: The project office is closed temporarily, but you can call or email with any questions, 855-INDOT-4U and [email protected].
About I-69 Finish Line
I-69 Finish Line is the sixth and final section of the Interstate 69 connection between Evansville and Indianapolis. The project will upgrade the existing State Road 37 to interstate standards between Martinsville and Indianapolis.Governor Eric Holcomb’s Next Level Connections program fully funded the $1.5 billion project and accelerated construction by three years. I-69 Finish Line is expected to open to traffic in late 2024, improving safety and reducing travel time.