Be prepared for a big traffic change this week. Waverly Road access to and from State Road 37 is permanently closing. The closure is scheduled to happen on or after Tuesday, April 14 to make room for a new overpass.
Waverly Road will reopen this fall as an overpass crossing the future I-69. The full closure happening now will allow crews to start earthwork on the approaches to the new overpass. I-69 Finish Line includes 14 new overpasses and underpasses.
When I-69 construction is completed in this area, Waverly Road will be the only local road that crosses the interstate between Perry Road and State Road 144. Waverly won’t connect with the highway. Local traffic will enter and exit I-69 at the S.R. 144 or Henderson Ford Road interchanges.
- You may have heard the pile driving near Egbert Road and Henderson Ford Road. The steel piles will provide support for the new bridges over the future I-69.
- Steel work is also underway at Egbert Road as part of the foundation work for the overpass.
- Utility work near Bill’s Boulevard and Northwest Avenue is preparing for next year’s construction of a new Ohio Street interchange.
- Signal work and paving will safely move more traffic through the S.R. 144 intersection at S.R. 37.
- When Waverly Rd. access to and from S.R. 37 closes this week, the official detour for local traffic will follow Big Bend Road and Old S.R. 37.
- Our crews are hard at work, keeping I-69 Finish Line on track. INDOT and our partners are continuing to build and maintain our critical highway system across the state.
- As weather allows, workers will paint and seal the new Grand Valley Boulevard bridge and wall components. There may be lane closures when painters are working over S.R. 37.
- Even though the project office is closed temporarily, you can always call or email with any questions, 855-INDOT-4U and INDOT@indot.in.gov.
About I-69 Finish Line
I-69 Finish Line is the sixth and final section of the Interstate 69 connection between Evansville and Indianapolis. The project will upgrade the existing State Road 37 to interstate standards between Martinsville and Indianapolis.
Governor Eric Holcomb’s Next Level Connections program fully funded the $1.5 billion project and accelerated construction by three years. I-69 Finish Line is expected to open to traffic in late 2024, improving safety and reducing travel time.